Skilled identity thieves use a variety of methods to steal your personal information. Keep in mind that new methods and techniques are developed every day, especially online, so it is important that you always remain wary, vigilant and informed.
• Dumpster Diving. Thieves rummage through trash looking for bills or other paper with your personal information on it.
• Skimming. Thieves steal credit/debit card numbers by using special devices when processing your card or even by using special scanners for cards with RFID (Radio Frequency Identification Systems) technology.
• Phishing. Thieves pretend to be financial institutions or companies and send spam or pop-up messages to get you to reveal your personal information.
• Changing Your Address. Thieves divert your billing statements to another location by completing a “change of address” form.
• Old-Fashioned Stealing. Thieves steal wallets and purses; mail, including bank and credit card statements; preapproved credit offers; and new checks or tax information. They steal personnel records from their employers or bribe employees who have access.