MEBA’s Ready, Set, Connect! Watch our webinars and watch videos from SC companies for an inside look into their work environments.
Midlands Education and Business Alliance (MEBA)
Coloring sheets and word searches provide a great way to expose elementary school children to various careers and encourage thoughtful career exploration.
- Careers in the Automotive Industry Coloring Sheet
- Careers in Construction Industry Coloring Sheet
- Careers in Engineering Coloring Sheet
- Careers in Finance Coloring Sheet
- Careers in Health Care Coloring Sheet
- Careers in Information Technology Coloring Sheet
- Careers in Transportation, Distribution and Logistics Coloring Sheet
- Creating Career Connections Word Search
- 16 Career Clusters Coloring Sheet
ASVAB Virtual Post-Test Interpretations Workshops
You are invited to join a series of virtual career exploration workshops to make sure you get the most out of the ASVAB CEP experience. Students who took the ASVAB (in the last 2 years), parents, & educators are all welcome to participate! Sessions are specifically designed in helping educators and students explore career pathways and understand their ASVAB scores. Session are open to all educators, students and parents. To REGISTER visit https://bit.ly/3dbTIaL
See below for a good video specific to the Midlands and link to more apprenticeship videos on our YouTube – please feel free to share.
Boeing South Carolina
With South Carolina students currently out of school due to the novel coronavirus, we know that many parents and programs are seeking online educational resources. Thus, we want to share digital resources with you from FUTURE U, a program partnership between Boeing and Discovery Education. The FUTURE U website includes ready-to-go STEM activities, including:
-Boeing and Discovery Education Launch ecoAction Virtual Field Trip Diving into Earth-Friendly Engineering – Amplify Virtual Learning and Environmental Activism by Connecting Sustainability and STEM
In preparation for Earth Day, Boeing and Discovery Education—the global leader in standards-aligned digital curriculum resources, engaging content, and professional learning for K-12 classrooms—present the ecoAction Virtual Field Trip, premiering on April 15, 2020.
This no-cost virtual field trip offers students in grades 6-12 across the United States the opportunity to dive into Boeing’s cutting-edge research on sustainable solutions. From the comfort of their homes, students will tour Seattle and discover the ways STEM professionals develop and test innovative aviation technologies, re-imagine biofuels, restore waterways, and radically improve energy usage. Along with an exclusive view into technologies, participants will also enjoy unique access to the scientists, engineers, and other STEM experts improving sustainability and raising environmental awareness.
- Students and families can access the field trip on-demand here.
- Access Boeing ecoAction Press Release
-Boeing Global Engagement / Request for Information — Virtual Mentoring/Tutoring & Volunteer Needs – Boeing employees remain committed to our community in this time of social distancing and have expressed an interest in virtual mentoring and tutoring opportunities. Boeing Global Engagement is working to create a resource that will connect our employees with partners seeking virtual volunteers. If you are transitioning your education programming to a digital service delivery model and are looking for virtual mentors/tutors, or if you have other virtual volunteer opportunities available, please complete the information below and return it to me as soon as possible. The deadline to be included in the first resource list is Friday, 4/17. We know that the current environment is dynamic, so please feel free to send additional opportunities along as they arise after 4/17.
Organization EIN Number:
- Short description of volunteer task(s):
- Specify subject(s) and grade level(s):
- Specify any qualifications/knowledge required of volunteers:
- Is a background check required?
- Specify any technology/software requirements:
- Date and time information (please include time zone):
- If reoccurring: what is the duration of the volunteer commitment?
How employees can sign up or learn more:
- Staff contact information (name and email or phone number) or URL:
- Please note that by providing your contact information, you are giving us permission to share your information with prospective Boeing volunteers. This information will only be used by Boeing Global Engagement to connect potential volunteers to your organization.
-This virtual field trip (VFT) takes students to Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas. The behind-the-scenes video tour introduces students to just a few of the amazing Boeing employees who are preparing to write the next chapter of space history with the launch of the CST-100 Starliner spacecraft and the deployment of the Space Launch System (SLS). A Pre-Virtual Field Trip Companion Guide introduces students to topics they will encounter during the VFT (Length: two 45-minute class periods).
Grades 6-12 Length: 28 Minutes, 6 segments
-Standards-aligned STEM lessons guide students as they explore key concepts in aerospace and engineering. Students can contemplate moon tourism, create a landing system for the world’s first crewed Martian-bound spacecraft, learn about NASA’s citizen science projects, or design their own celestial body!
Designed for grades 6-8
Length: each activity is designed for three 45-60 minute class periods
Lessons can be adapted for completion by a single student
In addition to these FUTURE U resources, check out our 100 Days of Learning collection of lesson plans, videos, interactive media, and design challenges, all of which are intended to increase student interest and aptitude for 21st-century skills.
Bush Gardens Tampa Bay
Discover Educational Resources for Hands-On Learning at Home
Our Bush Gardens family understands that you may need turnkey, engaging activities now more that ever. Our parks have developed standards-aligned resources available to help families virtually explore the wild world or animals and nature.
Through our distance learning resources, explore hands-on, multi-disciplinary activities, engage in a fun and creative learning environment, and discover something amazing along the way.
- Classroom Activities – For more than 50 years, education has been a critical part of our mission and we invite you to explore these resources created for educators and students grades K-12. See Classroom Activities Here
- Teacher’s Guides – Use the immersive guides developed at SeaWorld and Busch Gardens to help students understand how we can best care for our Earth’s resources. Discover activities that integrate science, math, geography, art, and language. Explore Guides Here
- Saving a Species Video Series – Come face-to-face with the wonders of wildlife through species-focused episodes and related classroom activities. Watch Now
- Animal Bytes – Each Animal is a one-page fact sheet specifically designed to help you quickly find information about some of the most interesting creatures found in the animal kingdom. Explore More
- Animal InfoBooks – InfoBooks are your resource for wildlife information. Explore the in depth details about animals, environments, conservation issues, and much more. See InfoBooks
- Explore More Resources at SeaWorld.org
Challenger Learning Center in Richland One
Columbia Metropolitan Airport
Financial Literacy Support Materials for Educators & Families
- Resources for Educators – EVERFI 2-Week Remote Learning Plan
- Resources for School Administrators – More information is available here: EVERFI Professional Development Opportunities
- Resources for Families – EVERFI now offers access to our resources directly to families, without the need for assignment by a teacher directly. This landing page is a one stop shop for families to access EVERFI (site is available in English & Spanish)
Military Education Coalition
The Military Education Coalition is offering FREE ACCESS to educators, parents, and students to their on-line training modules to assist in dealing with the issues and challenges of distanced learning related to the COVID 19 outbreak, The trainings offer specific knowledge, skills and tools to enable a positive learning experience and outcomes in these difficult times. This training is of benefit to educators interaction with ALL children and parents, not just those in the military. There are six modules. Each lasts 45-60 minutes. A certificate of completion can be down-loaded if desired.
1. Responding to changes in routine
2. Addressing anxiety
3. Maintaining connections and relationships
4. Making behavior management positive
5. Successful digital teaching and learning
6. Creating confidence in the midst of the unknown
The trainings are accessed through MCEC’s COVID19 webpage: www.militarychild.org/covid19
Please share this important, relevant and critically timely resource with colleagues, parents, and students as you deem applicable. We are all living in a world and at a time when we need to develop new models and mindsets to encourage and sustain a learning environment; this challenges us to learn, too. Working together, we will get through this and emerge stronger and smarter. A special appreciation to the Military Education Coalition for sharing such valuable resources!
Richland County Public Library
- Resources for Job Seekers during COVID-19
- Join Forces with Staffing Agencies for Successful Employment
SC Department of Commerce
SC Department of Education E-Learning Resources
The SC Department of Education has developed remote learning resources that can be used by teachers, faculty, CTE instructors, school counseling and career guidance personnel. Resources will continue to be added as they are developed and vetted.
- Varied collection of interviews of career professional ranging from an archaeologist to forensic scientists: http://www.kaltura.com/tiny/rk3db
- Videos on many course topics with career highlights: https://videoportal.virtualsc.org/category/Careers+and+Specialties/100343152
- Common Misconceptions about Archaeology: Careers and Specialties – VirtualSC Video Portal
- Watch This Video – Learn How to Search This Site. This quick video will show you how to navigate and search for videos on this site. https://videoportal.virtualsc.org/home
-SEL Conscious Discipline Tools: In this article you will find specific structures and tools: COVID-19: Five Helpful Responses for Families. You’ll also find links to other relevant, free resources like Shubert’s Home, webinars, podcasts, printable handouts and more.
-Social Emotional Learning Alliance for the United States – COVID-19 SEL Supports
SEL and Mental Health Resources During the COVID-19 Outbreak. Parents, educators, youth development professionals, childcare providers, and others are looking for ways to help young people reduce, manage, and cope with the fears, worries and anxieties that might be provoked by this health crisis and continue to develop the social and emotional skills they will need for managing and coping with future life challenges.
Here is a collection of resources to support these efforts. Check back periodically, as we will be updating the list. If you have resources to suggest, please contact us at email@example.com.
- How to Talk to Children about the Coronavirus, Harvard Medical School
- Talking to Children About COVID-19 (Coronavirus): A Parent Resource, National Association of School Psychologists
- Coronavirus Public Health Emergency: Psychological Tips for Children and Adolescents’ Emotions, Department of Human Sciences, University of Verona
- Just for Kids: A Comic Exploring the New Coronavirus, NPR
- Social and Emotional Learning Supports for Children and Young Adults Around Covid-19, SEL4TX
- Coronavirus, Online Learning, Social Isolation, and Cyberbullying: How To Support Our Students, Cyberbullying Research Center
– Memorandum from the Office of Career and Technology Education – The attached memos provide information from the Office of Career and Technology Education regarding Work Based Learning, Project Lead The Way (PLTW), Cosmetology, Nail Technology, Esthetic and Barber/Master Hair Care, and more. Contact the individuals listed in the memos if you have questions.
Presentation on Hot Jobs in the State of SC – Conducted by: Ashley Hanna-Williams, Research and Planning Administrator with Business Intelligence at SC Department of Employment & Workforce.
Labor Market Training
SC State Library
The South Carolina State Library will offer Tutor.com through Discus – South Carolina’s Virtual Library. This temporary offering is available until June 30, 2020 to support students, parents and educators while schools and libraries are closed because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Tutor.com connects students (and parents!) with expert tutors and career coaches in more than 80 subjects and test prep areas. The Tutor.com K-12 Learning Suite includes live, one-to-one tutoring, a real-time writing center, test preparation, practice quizzes and 24/7 access to worksheets, videos and tutorials.
Tutor.com has twenty years of experience providing online tutoring, homework help and test preparation and has served more than 18.5 million sessions. Ninety-five percent (95%) of their survey respondents report that Tutor.com helps them improve their grades, complete their homework assignments and raise their confidence.
South Carolina residents can access the online service from the library or from home on any computer or mobile device connected to the Internet. Tutoring is available 8:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m., seven days per week. This free service is made possible by the State Library of South Carolina.
To get started:
- Visit SCDiscus.org.
- In the A-Z list of resources, click on Tutor.com
- Login with your DISCUS account to get immediate access.
ServSafe is offering FREE food handler training – (4 hour training) and is also offering FREE COVID-19 Food Safety training (8 minute video)
Both can be accessed here https://www.servsafe.com/Landing-Pages/Free-Courses
Chef Jackson Lamb MBA, CSC, CHE, Professor of Hospitality with Metropolitan State University of Denver created 46 5-minute videos for the ProStart students. These videos serve as a chapter introduction for all 44 chapters in both level 1 and 2. They could be used as homework assignments as well. For instance, in Level 2, chapter 9, Food costing, They really get into the math part. Here are the YouTube Channel Videos links:
Pearson provided a link to send out to teachers: my Pearson Training Readiness Resources
The South Carolina National Guard
As we all shift to a different way of working and learning, WIN Learning has curated resources for Leaders and Learners. These are free resources for educators, families and work communities. Click on the link below to access them and please feel free to share the link as well.
The Importance of a First Impression
Feb 18, 2016
A Parents’ Role in College & Career Planning
Jan 21, 2016
Hot Jobs: Health Care Presentation
December 15-18, 2015
Hot Jobs: STEM Presentation
December 15-18, 2015
Hot Jobs: Construction Presentation
December 15-18, 2015
Profile of the Ideal Graduate
September 17, 2015